Our teeth work hard and are constantly under assault. It’s no wonder that nature encases them with an armor of enamel—the hardest substance in the body. Sadly, enamel erosion is extremely widespread, though largely preventable. Enamel’s chief enemies are acidic foods and beverages. Other factors that can weaken enamel or wear it away include:
- Tooth grinding
- Acid reflux
- Gastrointestinal conditions
- Chewing ice or other hard substances
- Eating disorders
At Endres Gateway Dentistry, we educate our patients about how to keep their enamel strong and halt continued erosion.
Here are five quick facts about enamel erosion:
1. Enamel is unlike many other tissues in the body; once it has been eroded, it can’t be regenerated.
2. According to the NIH, 41% of adolescents already have enamel erosion.
3. Vigorous brushing can damage enamel.
4. Diet sodas, sports drinks, and energy drinks are just as detrimental as sugared sodas.
5. Dry mouth can weaken enamel because it results in less saliva which helps keep enamel healthy and strong.
If you have already experienced enamel erosion, it’s vital to prevent further erosion. There are several dental procedures that can protect the teeth that have been compromised. Call our office at 513-791-8880 to schedule an examination. Dr. Endres and our friendly, knowledgeable staff will work with you to find the treatment plan that works best.
Contact Endres Gateway Dentistry: 513-791-8880
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):